Every Step Of The Way
Hiawatha Academies is a network of high-performing college-preparatory free public charter schools located in Minneapolis' Seward and Northrop neighborhoods. With over 1500 students from Kindergarten to grade 12 in our schools, we create a K-12 school experience that empowers students from all over the greater Twin Cities area with the knowledge, character, and leadership skills they need to graduate from college.
We strive to create a great school for every child, where:
- Students have consistent access to rigorous, high-quality curriculum
- Teachers utilize engaging and demanding instructional practices
- Authentic literacy practices are embedded in all subject areas
- Students are motivated through effective school culture practices
- Multi-tiered support systems reach all learners
- Parents are partners in their child’s education
Students have access to:
- A free public charter school education to all students K-12
- Uniforms to create a sense of unity
- Free breakfast and lunch
- Free transporation for grades K-8
- College exploration opportunities
- Athletics and student clubs
Families are our greatest partners. We constantly provide opportunities for families to connect with us with great programming. Visit our family engagement webpage.
Enroll At Hiawatha Academies Today
Enrollment is open for K-12 for 2024-25 school year. Click on the button below to make an account and start your application. You will have to create an account to complete school forms, upload documents, and track your progress. Visit the Enrollment Process and Policy page to learn more about enrolling at Hiawatha.
The open enrollment deadline for applications is February 16th. If we have more applications than available seats, you will be placed on a waitlist. Applications will continue to be accepted, and families placed on the waitlist. Waitlisted applicants will be contacted as seats become available.
Early Kindergarten Admissions Process
This is a process we follow when a child is under the age of admission for kindergarten as per Hiawatha’s board policy. Only children who turn 5 years old between September 2 and October 31 of the application year and passes screening tests prior to starting school will be considered for early Kindergarten admission.
While applying for our school:
- Indicate in the Hiawatha Academies application that the child turns five between September 2 and October 31.
- Priority: Applications for early kindergarten admission will only be considered after Hiawatha’s general lottery and if seat is available.
If there is an open seat, our recruitment team will contact you to complete the following required steps to be completed by May 28th
- Step1: Schedule an appointment online or call 612-668-3715 to complete the Early Childhood Screening
- Step 2: Email a copy of the screening results to [email protected]
- Step 3: Schedule a classroom observation on April 28th or May 28th at 8:00 am at Hiawatha Leadership Academy Northrop 1611, East 46th street, Minneapolis, MN 55407 (please arrive a few minutes early) by calling 612-455-4044.
- Step 4: Your child will go through a classroom observation and results will be reviewed by school leaders.
The screenings and observations are conducted to ensure that your child is ready and able to succeed in Kindergarten. If the child passes the four developmental screens and classroom observation, the child will be enrolled in Kindergarten at Hiawatha Academies.
Meet The Team
At Hiawatha Academies we work with families to make our schools better for your child. Our mission is to empower scholars with the knowledge, character, and leadership skills to graduate from college and serve the common good.
|Recruitment and Admissions Director
Hello, my name is Kabir, and I am the Recruitment and Admissions Director at Hiawatha Academies. Families are our greatest partners, and we are here to support you to learn about our schools and complete the application process. I look forward to hearing from you!
|Community and Family Recruitment Coordinator
I’m Mustafa, nice to meet you. I am a recruiter for Hiawatha Academies and work closely with our African and black families to create a smooth process for you to apply to our award-winning schools! Looking forward to meeting you!
|Community and Family Recruitment Coordinator
I am Karina, I am excited to support you in pursuing a high-quality education for your children. As a Mexican immigrant, I understand the challenges many of our families face in navigating a new education system. I look forward to welcoming you to our community of K-12 schools.