Working at Hiawatha
A purposeful and joyful career
We are a network of high-performing, college-preparatory charter schools that are closing the opportunity gap in south Minneapolis. We are a team of relentless educators who are taking responsibility for every scholar’s education. Our scholars are proving that all children can succeed regardless of race or background.
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that great people create great schools. We know the work we do is challenging but incredibly important. We strive to create a collaborative and joyful professional community that offers each of our teammates a purposeful career.
What sets us apart from other high-performing charter schools is how much we care about creating a joyful school community that honors the dignity of each scholar. This includes:
- Responsive classrooms with high expectations that honor scholars’ social-emotional development and well-being
- Well-rounded curriculum with options that include visual arts, performing arts, physical education, and elective classes
- Time to develop strengths, passion, and talent with options like sports teams, clubs, and other enrichment experiences.
- Meaningful partnerships with families that empower parents to support their scholars’ learning and advocate for a more equitable education
In every role, at every Hiawatha Academies school, you’ll meet staff who believe deeply in the mission, values and approach, we take to make sure children are at the center of everything we do.
We use data to set challenging yet attainable goals that we support each other in reaching. Teachers, principals, cafeteria managers and network leaders all use data to inform decision-making. For our classrooms, this means that all staff – from the most veteran teacher to the newest team member – carefully and deliberately makes decisions by putting the needs of scholars first.
Take a look at our approach to academics.
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that excellent teachers are the most important factor in closing the opportunity gap. Once you join our team, we are committed to helping you continue to grow and develop in your craft:
- Two weeks of intensive professional development in the summer
- Professional development sessions most Fridays
- Weekly classroom observations
- Weekly strategy sessions with grade-level teams
- One-on-one coaching and goal-setting
- Opportunities to attend conferences and other outside events
As our teachers learn and grow with us, they will climb a career ladder that increases both compensation and responsibility.
Exceptional benefits package
Our benefits and compensation are competitive. We offer:
- Competitive salary
- More than nine weeks of paid time off and school holidays
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Health and dental insurance
- Participation in state pensions/retirement programs
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Flex spending (FSA) program
- Pre-tax retirement savings plan (403B)
- Life insurance
- Fitness and eye care discounts
Our commitment to diversity
Hiawatha Academies is a growing organization where talented individuals make significant contributions towards closing the opportunity gap. We believe it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the communities they serve. We actively recruit staff members who reflect the rich diversity of our scholars. We support equal opportunity for all candidates and encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for positions at Hiawatha Academies.
As an Employer of National Service, Hiawatha Academies recognizes the unique skills of national service alumni. Accordingly, AmeriCorps alumni, returned Peace Corps volunteers, and other national service participants are encouraged to apply to our job openings.
“In my work with high schoolers, I remind my students that they are doing their best and that they are enough. I always try to remind myself of that as well. At the same time, we can still hold ourselves to a high standard, and be proud of our work and enjoy it very much.”