Working at Hiawatha
Working at Hiawatha
Hiawatha Academies is a network of high-performing, college-preparatory charter schools that are closing the opportunity gap in south Minneapolis. We are a team of relentless educators who are taking responsibility for every scholar’s education. Our scholars are proving that all children can succeed regardless of race or background.
“The team of teachers and staff at Morris Park is really what keeps me going.” Full interview.
“I graduated from the University of Minnesota with degrees in Sociology, Youth Studies, and African American Studies knowing I wanted to work with youth in my community.” Full interview.
“The role of school within our students’ lives is not treated as a single entity; instead, the network sees it as a system of support for students and families as our young scholars learn the academics and skills required to make positive change in the world.” Full interview.
“I was very lucky to have some great educators in my life from a young age who encouraged me to do my best and to put my all into school, which made me want to do the same for future generations.” Full interview.
A purposeful and joyful career
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that great people create great schools. We know the work we do is challenging but incredibly important. We strive to create a collaborative and joyful professional community that offers each of our teammates a purposeful career.
What sets us apart from other high-performing charter schools is how much we care about creating a joyful school community that honors the dignity of each scholar. This includes:
- Responsive classrooms with high expectations that honor scholars’ social-emotional development and well-being
- Well-rounded curriculum with options that include visual arts, performing arts, physical education, and elective classes
- Time to develop strengths, passion, and talent with options like sports teams, clubs, and other enrichment experiences.
- Meaningful partnerships with families that empower parents to support their scholars’ learning and advocate for a more equitable education
We use data to set challenging yet attainable goals that we support each other in reaching. Teachers, principals, cafeteria managers and network leaders all use data to inform decision-making. For our classrooms, this means that all staff – from the most veteran teacher to the newest team member – carefully and deliberately makes decisions by putting the needs of scholars first.
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that excellent teachers are the most important factor in closing the opportunity gap. Once you join our team, we are committed to helping you continue to grow and develop in your craft:
- Two weeks of intensive professional development in the summer
- Professional development sessions most Fridays
- Weekly classroom observations
- Weekly strategy sessions with grade-level teams
- One-on-one coaching and goal-setting
- Opportunities to attend conferences and other outside events
As our teachers learn and grow with us, they will climb a career ladder that increases both compensation and responsibility.
Exceptional benefits package
Our benefits and compensation are competitive. We offer:
- Competitive salary
- More than nine weeks of paid time off and school holidays
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Health and dental insurance
- Participation in state pensions/retirement programs
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Flex spending (FSA) program
- Pre-tax retirement savings plan (403B)
- Life insurance
- Fitness and eye care discounts
Our commitment to diversity
Hiawatha Academies is a growing organization where talented individuals make significant contributions towards closing the opportunity gap. We believe it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the communities they serve. We actively recruit staff members who reflect the rich diversity of our scholars. We support equal opportunity for all candidates and encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for positions at Hiawatha Academies.
As an Employer of National Service, Hiawatha Academies recognizes the unique skills of national service alumni. Accordingly, AmeriCorps alumni, returned Peace Corps volunteers, and other national service participants are encouraged to apply to our job openings.
Join our talent community to receive career updates.