Hiawatha Collegiate High School is currently seeking committed, passionate, goal-oriented coaches to lead our athletic programs. HCHS is a member of the Eastern Minnesota Athletic Conference (EMAC) and the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL). Coaches will own the continued development and growth of their program, and must understand and be willing to work in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment. The expected responsibilities of head coaches with support from assistant and lower level coaches include: facilitating tryouts and team selection, developing a practice and game schedule in collaboration with the Athletic Director, facilitating regular practices, and abiding by all HCHS, EMAC, and MSHSL policies.
- Ability to promote a focused and level appropriate atmosphere where players develop skills, invest in their team, and recognize the importance of good sportsmanship within competition.
- Passion for working with high school students and commitment for communicating effectively with them, their families, and other stakeholders in the program.
- Coaching and/or competitive experience at the varsity or collegiate level.
- Experience/familiarity with school athletics programs and the MSHSL.
- Hold a MSHSL Head-Coach Certification and/or sports specific coaching license (varsity head coaches).
- History of excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Believe that all student athletes can learn regardless of background or circumstance
- Believe that team beats individual
- Believe that on great teams, everything is earned
- Believe in the importance of strong work ethic, self-awareness, resilience, humility
- Believe in the importance of a strong culture based on our core values and mission
- Believe in the importance of optimism about the future in the face of challenges
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Hiawatha Academies seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position.
General Athletic Program Information
- Teams are expected to have 4-5 sessions per week (practices and competitions).
- The school day goes from 9:00 am - 3:30 pm. Practices can take place before or after school. Matches will take place after school and on weekends.
- Summer programming is highly encouraged.
School Year 2021-22 Open Positions
Winter 2021-22 Open Positions (Second week of November through March)
- Boys Basketball - JV Head Coach/Varsity Assistant
- Boys Basketball - Freshmen/C Head Coach (7-9 grade)
- Girls Basketball - Varsity Head Coach
- Girls Basketball - Varsity Assistant Coach
Spring 2022 Open Positions (Second week of March through May)
- Track and Field - Varsity Head Coach
- Track and Field - Varsity Assistant Coach
- Girls Badminton - Varsity Head Coach
- Girls Badminton - JV Head Coach/Varsity Assistant Coach