2014-2015 Positions Now Available!—
Current school year positions—
Don’t see what you’re interested in today? Subscribe for job alerts and be notified when new jobs are posted at Hiawatha Academies!
Questions? E-mail our Director of Talent and Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Hiawatha Academies has adopted a new application system to improve your experience! If you submitted an application using a previous form, we still have it on file--you do not need to reapply.
Who We WantQualifications
Our Commitment to DiversityApplication and Hiring Process
Who We Want
Passionate about closing one of the largest achievement gaps in the country? Love working hard and having fun with colleagues? Look no further.
If you’re looking for a challenge and the opportunity to positively impact the lives of students, Hiawatha Academies may be the place for you!
We're currently seeking hard-working, passionate, social-justice-oriented educators to join our team in instructional and non-instructional roles for the 2014/2015 school year. We want educators who believe deeply in the mission and values of Hiawatha Academies and who:
- Hold high expectations for all students
- Possess a strong knowledge of content area
- Implement the school-wide student management policies within classrooms and everywhere on campus
- Exhibit positive rapport with students
- Create and foster a positive learning environment
- Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
- Assist in development of curriculum standards and mapping
- Serve on school committees as needed
- Remain on call in the evenings (via school cell phone) to provide student support
- Do whatever it takes for our students to learn
- Work harder and longer to get dramatic academic results for all students.
- Bachelor's degree
- Commitment to working with underserved students
- A minimum of 2 years teaching in a high-need school with demonstrated student results.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to build trust with colleagues
- Growth mindset
- Spanish proficiency
At Hiawatha Academies, we believe that excellent teachers are the most important factor in closing the achievement gap—once you join our team, we are committed to helping you continue to grow and develop in your craft. Click to learn more about professional development for Hiawatha teachers.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Hiawatha is a growing organization where talented individuals make significant contributions to closing the achievement gap. We believe it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the communities they serve. Hiawatha actively recruits staff members that reflect the rich diversity of our scholars. We support equal opportunity for all candidates, and encourage candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for positions at Hiawatha Academies.
Application and Hiring Process
1. Submit the Hiawatha Academies online application.
- All applicants must submit an application online. Please note that we do not accept application materials via email or fax.
2. Your application is reviewed.
- If your qualifications are aligned with our current needs, we will contact you regarding the next steps in our hiring process.
- Due to the high volume of applications we receive on a daily basis, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status.
3. You are invited to a phone interview.
- If your qualifications match our needs, you will be invited to a phone interview.
4. You are invited to an in-person interview.
- If you are successful at the phone interview stage, you will be asked to participate in an in-person interview.
- For teacher applicants, you will be asked to conduct a sample lesson. You will receive detailed instructions via e-mail on how to successfully prepare for your sample.
- All sample lessons are followed by a debrief session with your observer(s). This debrief is designed to give us a sense of your ability to self-reflect, as well as to accept and implement feedback.
5. Your references are checked.
- A member of the Hiring Committee will contact your references at some point during the hiring process.